According to the 2014 American Eye-Q survey, only about 21 percent of adults wear protective eyewear during sports, and only 46 percent of parents make their children wear eye protection.
By the numbers:
- More than 600,000 eye injuries related to sports occur yearly.
- 1 in 18 college athletes sustain an eye injury each season. This increase to 1 in 10 for basketball players.
- More than 90 percent of all eye injuries can be prevented with the use of protective eyewear.
- Most eye injuries among children ages 11 to 14 occur while playing sports.
- Baseball is the leading cause in eye injuries in children under 14.
Source: American Optometric Association Focus Magazine.